Sunday, June 10, 2012

Grace's Art Party in the Park

We had a wonderful time Saturday morning at Betty Virginia park celebrating Grace's birthday. She invited her Sunday school friends and a good bit of family was also able to attend. We did a totally home made art party for her! It turned out to be pretty inexpensive and really fun! We had it at 9 in the morning under a huge tree in a quiet area of the park. It was a little bit of a stretch to get everything set up so early, but I was really glad we did it because it was still cool enough to be outside in Louisiana in June! Here are a few pictures.

We had three kid tables with 2 activities at each. This one was tempera paints and macaroni art/necklaces.



This table had water colors and foam stickers.



The last table had play dough and chalk.



We also had two picnic blankets set up with crayons and paint markers and some drawing boards.



When the kids finished a project they hung it on a line to dry. They did so many beautiful pictures that we had to add a second line to our gallery!



Jack's favorite part was playing with the spray bottle and the balloons.



The parents all did a great job of helping the kids and the kids did a great job too!



We also did a parachute.



But the best part was the piñata! This was Grace's one big request for her party. She wanted to make (not buy) a piñata. So we did it. There were some moments when I was pretty sure I had bitten off way more than I could chew, but it turned out great and the kids had a blast with it.


Everybody got two turns before it broke! Even Jack took a swing.






We had some fruit and cake and cupcakes. Grace wasn't so scared of the happy birthday song this year, so I was glad of that.


Four candles!!!



The cake was my favorite part. I made a rainbow cake. Each layer was a different color. I used a cheap box mix and then made the icing (because I can't really tell that big of a difference from a mix and home made cake, but the difference in icing is totally noticeable to me). I just bought three good primary food colors and mixed them all myself. It was really fun to do!


I also made some rainbow cupcakes, but the cake was more popular and we ended up not really needing the cupcakes!












Grace also really liked the balloons!


She volunteered to carry them when we were cleaning up. :)



It was a really really fun party!

Now, on to MOVING!!!



2 comments:

Karin said...

We wish we could have been at Grace's party! Sounds like lots of fun! I wish I had some of that awesome cake! You are so creative and a great mom!

Abbie said...

Thank you! It was a lot of fun, but we really really wish y'all could have been here too!