Sunday, July 8, 2012

Home Improvements Week 2: The Kitchen

I think it's safe to say that the kitchen may be what brought our house into our price range. :) I am loving it though and slowly but surely I know we will be able to turn it into a beautiful work space! So here's the lay of the land in the before pictures:

Walking through the Dining room into the kitchen. The washer/dryer hook ups are to the right and the units stick out into the kitchen when installed. Then there is a broken refrigerator which doesn't really fit the spot. Next the pantry that only has one shelf. Followed by a gas stove (woo-hoo!) that has about 16 inches of counter space on either side finished in super blue Formica.


To the left when you walk into the kitchen from the dining room: a nice sized breakfast nook followed by not quite super top of the line (but solid real wood) replacement cabinets and a single bowl sink w/ a huge drain board and some very unfortunate finish choices on all the window trim.


View of the breakfast area:


Now the progress begins!

Washer/dryer hook ups before:



The closet lined hall behind the kitchen:



My new laundry room/ pantry! Yay! So many problems were solved by just taking down a non load baring wall between a closet and the old wash nook. We are now on our way to having plenty of space for a nice large stackable washer and dryer and plenty of storage for all of the things that I would rather have out of site in my kitchen. We even had extra circuits run to the pantry so we could plug in a microwave and coffee pot and toaster etc in there and have my counters clear for cooking.



You can see where the wall was by the different flooring.



And now we have new pluming lines and exhaust lines run too.


We even found this great wall paper behind the knotty pine paneling!


And can I just comment again on the craziness that is our wall construction. Thank you. I think I will.


And just so you have the big picture in your head here is the kitchen renovation that I hope will take place over the next 30 years or so:
1. Put in pantry/laundry room. (I can give this a half check now) stay tuned for more updates coming soon.
2. Build new shelves in old pantry. (I'm hoping to do this before we move in)
3. Paint all the cabinets white and all the Wallpaper/appliance sections of room (will do before we move if all goes according to plan)
4. Sew a lot of curtains (I've got the material!)
5. Lay black and white (or perhaps yellow and cream?) tile on a diagonal throughout the kitchen. I'm thinking VCT because it looks so much like the original asbestos tile that was probably here to begin with but is cheaper than the marmoleum.
6. Install beadboard on the ceiling and new moldings and light fixtures.
7. Replace the countertops (this should not be too expensive since we don't have much!) and sink with an undermount so I have at least one nice long area to work on.
8. Replace the cabinets with new more traditional ones that extend from floor to ceiling utilizing that 9+ feet of space we have! (this is a little dreamy, I know, but I'm just throwing it out there).

So we have started our transformation! Yay!

0 comments: