Friday, March 9, 2012

Life Lessons

We rarely ever eat cereal for breakfast. I don't know why. I love cereal. The kids seem to like it ok. I guess I just have in my head that it's expensive. Also, I really enjoy a cooked breakfast. I don't really like heavy, meaty breakfasts, but a warm cooked breakfast always hits the spot. We usually rotate between oatmeal, grits, and pancakes at our house. Usually we have fruit as well. But this morning we changed it up a little and enjoyed some of Nana's cereal stash.

Jack ate three bowls full sans milk. I enjoyed mine with ice cold whole milk (I always grieve a bit when a kid turns 2 and you don't get to have whole milk in the house anymore). Grace ate about 5 spoons full before she noticed this...


The back of the cereal box! Not much eating went on after that. There was too much to study and imagine about and talk about in the little town scene on the back of the box!

I wonder how many hours of my life were spent reading the back of the cereal box as a kid. I read it most every morning, the same thing, over and over. Honey Nut Cheerios was the cereal of choice in our house growing up. Although, my mom was of the same warm, prepared, non meat breakfast variety as myself. Oatmeal, grits and eggs and homemade waffles were our rotation for all those years of before school breakfasts. I'm pretty sure that between MA and myself she has cooked about 5,000 waffles (and to this day she can't tell you who likes the extra crunchy kind (me!) and who likes the soft-non-browned kind (m.a.).) I'm pretty sure we laughed about the fact that she could not remember that each and every one of those 5,000 times. Ahhhhh, memories, memories. Why was I so stressed out in Jr. high? I mean, my mother was there cooking me a hot breakfast every single morning, AND she did the dishes too! My most pressing decision of the morning was whether or not to have my scrambled eggs placed under or on top of my grits (i still go with on top every time). Perhaps I've gone into to much detail about our breakfast eating habits here. Back to the main point...

It looks like Grace is cut from the same cloth as her Nana and Mama in her breakfast eating ways... And I think I like that about her.

0 comments: