I'm on a blogging kick today. Can you tell?!? I made this for dinner and thought I would write it down.
I always see recipes that are supposed to be things you can make from items you are supposed to have on hand. Well, I never seem to have all those things. But I always seem to have these things! Here is my go-to "I don't feel like eating leftovers and I don't want to cook what I had planned on the menu cause it doesn't sound good" meal! Potato soup!
I chopped an onion (always have onions) and a few stalks of celery (bought for beans and rice) and browned them. Then I cut some carrots (always have as a snack and for a quick side of glazed carrots if needed... My kids eat them up if I glaze them with just a bit of honey) and threw them in. After that I added about five or six peeled potatoes (left from making mashed potatoes) and half a bag of frozen corn (cause I just always have that).

After all of that gets nice and brown I added some chicken stock (I always have this handy and was planning on using just a cup or so for a reduction this week but changed my mind on the sauce... I know, too much info) salt, pepper and a bay leaf. Then I let it boil for a good 15-20 min till everything was soft and the potatoes were a little mashed.

Sometimes that's all I do and we eat up, but this week I had a little cream in the fridge (I usually keep this around. It only takes a very little bit to change up a dish and make it so much better) so I added about 1/4 cup of that and a big spoon full of sour cream (always in the fridge) to make it really rich!

I let that simmer while I made some grilled cheese and served it up with a little grated cheese (you know, the little bit left in the bag that you have no idea what to do with cause it's not enough to make anything) and a little dollop of sour cream (in mine cause I like it a lot).

So yummy! I make this a lot for lunch in the winter when I'm not feeling peanut butter or am low on bread. It's super easy and I almost always have the ingredients for some variation on hand.
0 comments:
Post a Comment