Saturday, August 4, 2012

Home Improvements: Weeks 3+4

Or is it 3+4+5? I can't remember. I think this is the end of our second week to live here. How in the world does it feel like it's been such a long time already? Anyway, I need to give an update! We will start with Graces room (cause you know its still my fav) and then I'll try to post a couple every day. I honestly thought we would be doing better about unpacking, but I just can not seem to get anything done with the kids around. And honestly, I just don't want to with the kids around. We have been having too much fun having play dates, dinner guests, "skating" in the living room, watching the Olympics, making cookies, running errands and just enjoying being a family of four again! We have been trying to take one night a week when Jonathan's parents can watch the kids and work till we drop when the house is a kid free zone.

Ok. Enough. Here are some pictures.

Here is what's to the left when you walk in. Her bed and little table to the side. We finally got her bedding situation worked out after a few trial runs. I thought we would do a waterproof mattress pad (just in case) but she was sweating so badly it was disgusting. So I got a regular one and the problem has been solved. Also, I was a little worried about her falling off the bed at night, but didn't want to find/buy bed rails. So I put pool noodles under her mattress pad on either side of her bed! Ha! And, yes, I saw it on Pinterest. But let me tell you, it has worked SO well!



And here is the view to the right. Her dresser and chair and another little table. Mom recovered the cushions on the old chair with a cute check green seersucker fabric. I really like the way it looks now.





I forgot to take a picture of her closet, but that is one of my favorite parts. We are able to keep all of her small toys and things in there because Jack can't open the door (cause I need to find a replacement antique glass knob handle... In all my spare time). She has LOVED having a room of her own so far. She plays a lot in there all by herself. I think she really is enjoying the space actually. She especially loves to play on her bed with her "bunny house" toys.

I thought I would also make a list of what I want to work on in the near future in each room. So here you go (in no particular order): paint some different sized picture frames different colors and put her art work in them and hang those on her wall. Make a few little pillows with the left over fabric. Make a super gathered down to the floor dust ruffle (this may be in my far off dreams). Do something different with the top of her chest of drawers. Organize her closet a bit better with more shelves for toys. Put in a new air distributor cover (nome looks better than the old nasty one that we found from the house). Figure out the curtain situation. All of our windows are so tall and our ceilings are so high that every curtain on our 30 windows is going to have to be custom. Hmmm. I've made a couple of smaller ones but just can't figure out what to do for the bigger windows. Sheers under panels? No sheers and lined operable panels? Valences with shades? There are so many options and they all require a lot of fabric. And I tend to be slow to make up my mind. So mini blinds it is for now! Also, I would love to find a fun soft rug to have on the floor by winter although I am loving the hard wood that is so easy to keep clean!

And there you have it! We still have a long way to go, but do you remember where we started just a few weeks ago? White walls, yellow trim, green Formica counters, super unhealthy floors?



It's definitely the most transformed room (so far).

0 comments: